Wednesday the 15th of March saw the return of the Littlejohn and McHue & Porter Tournaments as Universities across Scotland met at St Andrews to battle it out the respective Cups. The day turned out to be a great success for University Shinty with competitive action throughout all stages of the day.

In the McHue and Porter, Edinburgh topped the table in the group stage with 10 points after winning 3 games and drawing 1. It was then Strathclyde who squeezed into second place after also winning 3 of their games but suffering 1 loss. Both teams progressed straight into the final which allowed the 3rd and 4th play of to commence.

Glasgow and St Andrews battled it out in the decider to clinch 3rd spot, and contrary to the group stage it was St Andrews who came out on top with a narrow 1-0 win being enough for them to finish 3rd on the day.

This then lead onto the final where the stage was set for a fantastic game, and that was exactly what transpired! Both teams showed outrageous skill and courage during the 15 minute each-way final. The game was wide open going end to end as both keepers were tested numerous times, it took until the 14th minute of the first half to find the breakthrough as Abi Stoddart picked up the ball and slotted it past the Strathclyde keeper to give Edinburgh a 1-0 lead going into the second half. This is how the game would end as Strathclyde were unable to respond during the second half as the game continued to be a tight contest. The referee blew the full time whistle and it was Edinburgh who came out victorious!

Within the Littlejohn Tournament, it was the same outcome within the group stage as Edinburgh topped the table with 10 points and Strathclyde finished a close second with 9 points. Again both these teams progressed into the final leaving Glasgow and Aberdeen to fight for the 3rd spot on the day.

Nothing could separate the teams in the playoff as both defence’s came out on top in what was still an entertaining 0-0 draw. It took penalties for a winner to be decided, and it was close throughout with both keepers making some fantastic saves. Aberdeen would eventually clinch the 3rd spot after converting their last 2 penalties to make the final score 0-0 (Aberdeen win 2-0 on penalties).

In the final game of the day Edinburgh and Strathclyde once again battled it out to be named the winner of the Littlejohn Tournament. The game started very stuffy, with both teams allowing little to no chances. It took until the 14th minute of the first half to find the breakthrough, which came through the way of a penalty. Strathclyde’s Dan MacDonald was brought down in the box which gave Captain Scott Macvicar the chance to convert the penalty, which he did in style making it 1-0 just before the half.

Both teams regrouped and came out swinging in the second half, which was in line with everything that had come before. Edinburgh created some chances to get back into the game, but they were caught on the break as Dan Macdonald took the matter into his own hands by slotting home Strathcylde’s second after a beautiful solo run. Edinburgh scored a last-minute consolation as Gregor Macgregor forced a mistake from the Strath keeper, but a consolation was all it was as the referee blew to signify the end of a great final.

Congratulations to both teams on their respective wins and to all the teams that attended for making it a day to remember for Student Shinty!