An Aird was the venue for the Ferguson Transport & Shipping Balliemore Cup Final and the suns were shining brightly between the Ben’s ahead of throw up. Beauly came into the game top of the MOWI National and undefeated, having vanquished Inveraray at the Winterton 3-1 a few weeks earlier. Despite that result, Inveraray were in good form coming into the game having only lost one game in the league all season.

After the traditional walk-outs and hand shaking had been done, match official Steven MacLachlan got the game underway and it wasn’t long before Beauly took the lead. A powerful shy from Captain Conor Ross was flicked to the edge of the D by Ross Forbes leaving Euan MacCormick all the room in the world to turn and pick his spot to ‘Aray keeper Scott MacLachlan’s bottom left corner.

Inveraray responded well though putting some pressure on the Beauly backline and winning a free-hit deep in the final third. The ball was worked to Ross MacMillan who fired a low shot at Martin MacDonald in the Beauly goals who saved smartly with his feet.

Shortly after, MacCormick, who was enjoying an excellent afternoon, struck from distance forcing MacLachlan in to a smart save to keep his side in the match. However, from the resulting corner, Robbie Brindle struck home to double Beauly’s advantage.

David MacLean made it 3 in the 45th minute, a lofted ball towards the Aray goal took an awkward bounce as MacLachlan came to meet it and skipped beyond the keeper and into the back of the net.
However, Inveraray would reply rapidly, as they found a way back in this final clash straight from throw-up. Neat interplay from Allan Cameron and Fraser Watt on the left channel allowed Lewis MacNicol to strike home from a tight angle.

It wouldn’t take long for Beauly to bounce back, as three minutes later and on the stroke of half-time, Ross Forbes reacted quickest to volley home a close range effort to make it four for the Highlanders heading in to the interval.

The second half would begin with more of the same, with Beauly dominating proceedings. On the hour mark, MacLean would grab his second of the afternoon and Beauly’s fifth, which put the game well out of reach for Inveraray who were struggling to hold the ball up in the opposing half.

When the whistle eventually blew for full-time, Beauly alongside their vocal travelling support, celebrated the club’s second Balliemore triumph with their last victory coming back in 2015. Despite being second best on the day, Inveraray can still take many positives form their performance and this season – as they continue to look like a side with a very bright future ahead.

Beauly Captain, Conor Ross collected the trophy and black caman from Ally Ferguson of sponsors Ferguson Transport & Shipping, with Beauly’s Ryan MacKay winning the inaugural Captain Archibald Chisholm Man of the Match Award which was presented by Strathglass Shinty Club.