Kingussie will face off with Kinlochshiel at Bught Park this Saturday in the MacTavish Cup Final.

Read the below stats to get you warmed up for the big fixture!


Kinlochshiel are scoring an average of 3.25 goals per game and conceding an average of 0.75 goals per game. Of Shiel’s 10 wins 6 of them have been by a 2 goal margin which shows they have been in a lot of closely fought contests even when winning.


The Artemis Macaulay Cup Champions are scoring an average of 5.0 goals per game and conceding an average of 0.6 goals per game. These stats are hugely impressive, however, the goals conceded per game has doubled since the Macaulay Final – although this is likely due to the low numbers involved rather than any statistical variation.

Well balanced

The stats show that Kinlochshiel are a very balanced side when it comes to scoring with only one of the 6 segments exceeding 20% (21%). Thus Kingussie will have to be on their guard throughout the game as Shiel have proven they can strike at any time.

Getting up to speed

If the goals scored showed balance, the goals conceded are the opposite. Shiel concede 50% of their goals in the opening 15 minutes of both halves, which could show it takes them a bit of time to get going from a standing start.

Stronger in the 2nd

The stats show that Kingussie score the majority of their goals (60%) in the second half of games - with the final 15 remaining the most deadly for the side (25%).
Roddy Young pointed to their sides fitness in the most recent episode of the Half-Swing Shinty Podcast which would tie in with these numbers.

Vulnerable on the counter?

For some time we haven't been able to say much about Kingussie's defensive statistics because they had conceded such low numbers but now I think we can. 2/3 (67%) of their goals conceded come in the second half which shows that while the may be more potent in attack during this period that can occasion leave them vulnerable at the back.

Falconer leads the way

James Falconer is far and away the top scorer out of both sides but Keith MacRae has already shown this season that he can pull out huge performances in Cup Finals - hpoefully goals galore this Saturday!

Road to the Final


A huge thanks to Skye Camanachd for the below report:

The Skye Camanachd first team lost 4-0 in their MacTavish Cup first round tie against Kingussie at the Dell on Saturday 3 July 2021.

This was a first opportunity for shinty supporters to watch a game since March 2020 and the ticketed event was well-organised by the Kingussie club. Close to 150 fans from both clubs took their socially distanced places for this 3pm throw up.

Kingussie welcomed skipper Rory MacKeachan, James Hutchison and Roddy Young back from injury and boss John Gibson listed all three on the bench.

Skye were missing full centre Will Cowie whose knee injury is likely to keep him out for some time.

The Dell pitch was in its usual pristine condition and Kingussie opened with a slight wind advantage in their favour.

The Kings made a blistering start to the tie as they set siege on the Skye goal. Skye defended well though and they had keeper Ryan Morrison to thanks as he pulled off three outstanding saves.

Skye began to see more of the ball as the pace of the game began to drop but it was the hosts who took the lead on 31 minutes. Savio Genini’s snap-shot did the damage with the ball moving quickly off his stick to finally beat Morrison in the Skye goal.

The energetic Thomas Borthwick made it 2-0 just 3 minutes later. The goal came following a rehearsed free-hit routine with all home forwards waiting behind the ball for the referee’s whistle before Borthwick ran onto a ball forward to score.

Kingussie were always quick on the counter-attack with their wing centres constantly running in on goal.

Whilst Kingussie had most of the pressure, Skye did create chances with Ross Gordon first hitting the post and before the same player forced a fine Rory MacGregor save.

Kingussie finished strongly and James Falconer made it 3-0 with a brilliantly worked goal on 80 minutes. The ball was played forward to Roddy Young who found Falconer and his strike killed the tie.

Wing centre Thomas Borthwick got his second goal 5 minutes from time following a great solo run forward from the middle of the park. Borthwick’s shot went across the keeper’s right side.

Ryan Morrison’s saves included a brilliant point blank parry with his club to deny Ruaridh Anderson and a fine stop with an outstretched foot to keep out Dylan Borthwick’s effort from the right of the penalty spot.

Defenders Alexander Michie and Calum Grant were excellent for Kingussie. Keeper Ryan Morrison was best for Skye with full back John Gillies also playing very well.

Kingussie from: Rory MacGregor: Robert Mabon, Calum Grant, Ryan Borthwick, Alexander Michie: Kieran MacPherson, Liam Borthwick, Thomas Borthwick: Ruaridh Anderson, James Falconer, Dylan Borthwick, Savio Genini: subs Rory MacKeachan (captain), James Hutchison, Roddy Young

Skye Camanachd from: Ryan Morrison: John Gillies, Martin Pringle, James Morrison, William MacKinnon: Ally “Cleodi” MacLeod, Ross MacKinnon, Sam Macphee: James Pringle, Ross Gordon, Iain MacLellan, Jordan Murchison (captain)subs Jamie Gillies, Daniel Morrison, Archie MacDonald

Match Referee – Steven MacLachlan

Thanks to Skye Camanachd for the below. 

Kingussie 3 Newtonmore 1

Kingussie beat Newtonmore for the third time this month, winning 3-1 at the Dell.

Kingussie were along usual lines with the exception of Thomas Borthwick whose knee ligament injury could keep him out for the rest of the season.

Injury ruled out Newtonmore’s Max Campbell although Iain Richardson made an early return from his hand injury. Owen Fraser returned in goal with Kenny Ross unavailable.

Ruaridh Anderson gave the Kings a 4 minute lead. Calum Grant found James Falconer wide on the right. Falconer sent the ball low into the danger area and Anderson capitalised on a defensive slip before running in to score.

Roddy Young made it 2-0, on 58 minutes, getting on the end of James Falconer’s low corner on the right.

Steven MacDonald converted from the penalty spot on 82 minutes after Iain Robinson had been brought down inside the D to give ‘More hope.

However Ruaridh Anderson scored the goal of the match with just 4 minutes to go. Kieran MacPherson sent the ball long from the Kingussie right to Savio Genini in a central position with his back to goal. Genini spread play out to the Kingussie left where Ruaridh Anderson ran wide with Rory Kennedy before quickly taking a touch backwards to completely change direction, losing his marker in the process and then shooting across the keeper and into the far corner of the net.

No match report was found from Kyles, many thanks to Skye Camanachd website for the below.

Artemis Macaulay Cup – Semi-Final

Oban Camanachd 0 Kyles Athletic 1

Kyles Athletic reached the Artemis Macaulay Cup Final with a narrow 1-0 victory over Oban Camanachd at Mossfield.

The goal that separated the sides came on 50 minutes when Oban Camanachd fluffed a hit-in and Kyles earned a free-hit following a break forward. The set-piece was powered to the back of the D by Thomas Whyte and, one-handed, Ross MacRae managed to touch the ball to Robbie MacLeod who smashed a shot home.

Oban Camanachd had a chance to level midway through the second half when referee Des McNulty awarded they a penalty, penalising a sliding challenge after consulting with the goal judge. Daniel MacCuish rocketed the spot-hit but the ball went above the keeper’s head and John Whyte made a good reflex save.

Oban Camanachd’s Daniel Cameron went up front after feeling a tight hamstring and he twice went close. First, Cameron went one-on-one with keeper Whyte and as he tried to slip the ball under the Kyles custodian, his effort came off the keeper’s heel.

Then a fierce Cameron strike came off the back of Andrew King’s head whilst substitute Lewis Buchanan saw his shot come back of the outside of the junction between post and bar.

Kyles were well served by their midfield of Thomas Whyte, flanked by Conor Kennedy and Innes MacDonald with Neil MacVicar replacing Whyte when he suffered a knock soon after the goal. Andrew King covered a lot of ground at the back.

There was a long 6 minutes of stoppage time for Kyles to endure before they claimed their place in the final.

Road to the Final

Kinlochshiel Road to the Final

8-0 vs Lochaber MacTavish Cup – First Round

Thanks to Skye Camanachd for the below.

Kinlochshiel were too strong for Lochaber, recording a resounding 8-0 triumph in their 3pm throw up at Rèaraig.

John MacRae got onto David Falconer’s long ball down the left before beating keeper Calum MacDonald at his near post on 12 minutes whilst Keith MacRae doubled their advantage with a shot from the right which deceived the goalie, creeping in at his near post on 20 minutes.

John MacRae got his second on 36 minutes. MacRae was left of centre when the ball broke out to him and he fizzed a shot over the keeper.

Jordan Fraser sent a penalty low to the keeper’s right on 40 minutes to make it 4-0 at the break.

Jordan Fraser then went on a scoring spree, getting his second on the hour. Donald Nixon’s long ball into the D wasn’t dealt with and Fraser touched the into the net.

It was Jordan Fraser again on 70 minutes, driving the ball home from around the penalty spot and he took his tally to four just 4 minutes later when he was left unmarked in front of goal and he forced the ball home at the second attempt.

There was no respite for Lochaber and Finlay D MacRae made it 8-0 with a couple of minutes remaining. Duncan “DA” MacRae and Jordan Fraser combined on the left to set up the youngster, who was unmarked at the front of the D, and he swept the ball home on his backhand.

Kinlochshiel play their Artemis Macaulay Cup quarter-final tie against Lovat at Blairbeg on Wednesday 4 August 2021. Kingussie await the winners in the semis.

3-1 vs Strathglass MacTavish Cup – Quarter-Finals

Thanks to Skye Camanachd website for the below.

Kinlochshiel are through to the MacTavish Cup semi-finals but they had to work hard to beat Strathglass 3-1 at Cannich.

Strathglass boss Allan MacLeod had to make six changes from the team which lost at Bute in the Balliemore Cup in mid-August.

Kinlochshiel were also much changed from the side that beat Kyles Athletic in the Camanachd Cup semi-final a week earlier. Finlay MacRae, John MacRae and Duncan “WD” MacRae were all out injured. Duncan Matheson dropped onto the bench where he joined Fraser MacVicar Mark MacDonald. Paul MacRae and Campbell Lamont came into the defence with Finlay D MacRae in midfield and Archie MacRae in attack.

‘Shiel took the lead after just 3 minutes when Ali Nixon sent a good strike into the roof of the net from left of the penalty spot.

Penri Jones pulled the hosts level on 27 minutes, following up after a Josh Grant save and he beat the keeper and slotted the ball home.

Keith MacRae capitalised on a defensive error at the edge of the D a minute into the second half, tucking the ball into the net to put ‘Shiel back in front.

Strathglass had a chance to level for a second time when referee Andy MacLean awarded them a penalty but Josh Grant turned away Penri Jones’ spot-hit.

‘Shiel broke forward from the resulting corner and substitute Duncan Matheson made it 3-1 from inside the box on 57 minutes.

The last thing ‘Shiel needed was any addition to their injury list but Ali Nixon went off with what looked like a hamstring problem whilst Conor Cormack also picked up an injury.

This was a good end-to-end game of shinty and Strathglass played well, running the Camanachd Cup finalists close.

2-1 vs Caberfeidh MacTavish Cup - Semi Final

Many thanks to Skye Camanachd website for the below.

Tulloch Homes Camanachd Cup winners Kinlochshiel reached the MacTavish Cup Final, defeating Caberfeidh 2-1 at Castle Leod.

Caberfeidh’s Connor MacGregor was suspended whilst ‘Shiel were missing Conor Cormack and Jordan Fraser. Ali Nixon, who has been troubled by a hamstring problem, was an unused substitute.

‘Shiel’s John MacRae played the whole match at half forward and he capitalised on a poor clearance out of the home defence on 28 minutes, hitting a 20 yard shot on the angle into the net.

John MacRae got his and ‘Shiel’s second just 4 minutes into the second half. The goal came following a corner which Blair Morrison tried to clear. MacRae stole in, taking a touch before finishing with a half swing.

‘Shiel lost Duncan Matheson and Duncan “WD” MacRae through injury for the final quarter of the match and Caberfeidh put the west coasters under a lot of pressure towards the end of the contest.

Kevin Bartlett pulled a goal back with 3 minutes remaining but it wasn’t enough so Kinlochshiel are through to the MacTavish Cup Final – a trophy they have never won – where they will play Fort William or Kingussie with their semi-final scheduled for An Aird this coming Saturday.

Buy Tickets NOW!

Want more?

Check out this week’s Half-Swing Shinty Podcast to make sure you are up to speed on the weekend’s action.