Kyles Athletic and Oban Camanachd met in this year’s South Under 14 League Final at Mossfield, Oban. Kyles beat Aberdour in their semi to reach the final while Oban Camanachd narrowly edged out GMA in their semi-final to reach the showpiece. The 2 previous meeting of these sides showed how tightly matched these teams were going into the game.

Alec MacVicar got the game underway for this 3pm throw up.

Oban Camanachd started stronger with the wind at their backs and in the 2nd minute of the game a long range effort was saved by Struan Limbert however, Innes Mackay latched onto the loose ball tucking the ball into the net.

From the restart Oban attacked again and another shot on target was again saved by Limbert but Mackay got to the rebound first and again finished from just inside the D in an almost identical goal to his first.

A few minutes later it was Kyles turn to attack and when Ethan Kerr struck a shot from 25 yards near the sideline his strike found the opposite side netting giving the keeper little chance and bringing Kyles right back into the game.

Again, Kerr hit a shot but this time the Oban keeper did well to deny the Kyles danger man and the score remained 2-1.

On 13 minutes Oban Camanachd’s Scott Campbell hit a shot from 30 yards into the roof of the net giving Limbert in the Kyles goal very little chance.

7 minutes later Innes Mackay completed his hattrick again a shot from distance from Scott Campbell was saved by Limbert but the Camanachd full forward was again first on the loose ball to tuck home.

Despite chances at both end near team really worked the opposition keeper in the closing 15 minutes of the half. Alec MacVicar blew the half time whistle with Oban Camanachd holding a 4-1 advantage.

At the start of the 2nd half Kyles now had the wind at their backs and began to push to close the gap again. However, despite several chances they were failing to test the Oban goalkeeper.

15 minutes into the 2nd half Scott Campbell finished from 15 yards out to extend Camanachd’s lead to 4.

However, straight from the throw up Kyles went up the other end and a 20-yard strike from James Morley found the back of the net.

Kyles had the better of the next few minutes but on 55 minutes Scott Campbell completed his hattrick when he broke through the Kyles defence and finished from 10 yards to restore Oban’s 4 goal advantage.

Again, Kyles continued to push for more goals and had solid pressure for the  closing 10 minutes of the game but the Oban defence stood firm until the final whistle.

The Camanachd Association would like to thank both Kyles Athletic and Oban Camanachd for providing goal judges for the match and putting on a very entertaining game. Iain Hay for lining the park and providing a brilliant surface for the teams to play on. The caterers for providing food for the players and coaches after the game. Finally, to Mowi for sponsoring the competition and their continued support for our sport.